Geckos are fascinating and unusual little fellas, with amazing characteristics. To make sure you are in the 'gecko know', here is a carefully compiled list of gecko facts.
- Geckos have long bodies and are able to walk up walls and other vertical surfaces!
- Geckos will live for around 2 to 9 years
- Geckos are able to walk up walls because they have feet that are covered in microscopic hairs
- Experts believe there are between 900 and 2,000 species of gecko
- Geckos are the only lizards that use a 'voice'. Some species of gecko make a clicking or squeaky noise which sounds like "gec-ko". This is how they got their name!
- Most geckos are nocturnal, meaning they are most active at nigh
- The most common species of gecko is the Leopard Gecko
- Leopard Geckos make an excellent pet. They are quiet, not smelly, and don't need as much attention as some other pets do
- Geckos are hatched from eggs. Gecko eggs are sticky to begin with, but become hard soon after that