Choosing Horse Insurance
Choosing horse insurance can be somewhat confusing with so many insurers and policies out there. You shouldn't choose horse insurance on cost alone as there are many other things to consider. Choosing the right equine insurance policy for your needs and circumstances should come first. Here is our guide on choosing and buying horse insurance and equine insurance.
Choosing the right horse insurance company
Perhaps the first thing you should think about is which horse insurance company to choose. We would advise against choosing the first one that you see. The following questions may help:
- Does the horse insurance company have a good reputation?
- Do they have good customer service?
- Do they offer useful advice on your horse insurance policy choices?
- Are they payouts made in a reasonable time?
- Are they a horse insurance specialist?
Perhaps the best place to start here is to ask about the horse insurance that your friends or family may have.
Tailor your horse insurance policy
There are many reasons why you may need to make a claim on your equine insurance policy. Finding out too late that you may not be covered for a particular eventuality can be upsetting and expensive. For this reason it is important that when you are getting quotes, you inform the insurer what type of cover you need.
What does the horse insurance policy include?
Preparing in advance is crucial when buying horse insurance. There are so many options and levels to horse insurance that it is crucial you buy the right cover. Things to consider are:
- Between what ages is your horse insured, if there are age restrictions?
- What is the excess payable on the policy?
- Is personal accident cover included?
- Is there a maximum amount I can claim for treatment?
- Is there a veterinary fee limit and if so, how much?
- Are legal fees included?
- Is theft included on the policy? (i.e. saddlery or tack)
Some horse insurance policy will cover your trailer and horsebox. Many horse owners will insure these separately however. If this is the case, read our guide to choosing horsebox insurance for further information.
There are a lot of things to consider before you buy equine insurance, but any useful horse insurance company should be helpful and informative when you get in touch with them for a quote.
Remember not to choose your horse insurance on price alone. Go with the recommendations of a friend if possible, and always ensure you know what you are covered for when you buy horse or equine insurance.